Monday 12 October 2015

Joe's Kitchen, Borough

I have to be honest, breakfast isn't my favourite meal of the day. Simply, I don't like mornings. I have never been, and probably never will be, a morning person. With my job and tactfully-booked morning yoga sessions, I am gradually getting used to waking up earlier, but I still don't leave enough time to really savour my morning meal. I usually just go for a quick bowl of cereal or a couple of slices of toast, or, if I'm feeling adventurous, some porridge. As a result, I can't handle too much food early in the morning, so any morning feasts are out of the question. But brunch? Well, I'm all over that.

Reiss and I haven't been able to spend that much time together recently, so on a rare day off together, we decided a special breakfast brunch was required. With all it's hype recently, I automatically thought of The Breakfast Club. However, as it was a fairly long tube ride away in the opposite direction to our other plans for the day, Reiss instead recommended a place just round the corner from his. So, on a rainy mid-morning, we wandered off to Borough and settled down in Joe's Kitchen!
We were welcomed straight away and led to a table next to the window - ideal for some morning people-watching! Bunting and vintage sign galore, the decor is perfect for a cosy, relaxed bite to eat or drink to sip, almost like a rustic home-away-from-home. It reminded me of some of my much-loved cafes back in Falmouth, so of course I adored it!

First up, drinks. Frothy cappuccino for him, apple and elderflower juice for me. Beautifully refreshing, with the sweet zing of apple, followed by the uniquely soft after-taste of elderflower - delicious!
Food time! Reiss went for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast, whilst I, with my huge sweet tooth, went for the *super-healthy* pancakes with bacon. A tower of three freshly made American-style pancakes, topped with yummy bacon and smothered in maple syrup. As if that wasn't indulgent enough, of course I asked for extra maple syrup on the side. Goodbye, diet.
The pancakes were deliciously soft and fluffy, whilst the salty bacon and sweet maple syrup contrasted beautifully. Reiss couldn't get his head around the sweet-savoury combination, but it just works. After two pancakes though, the giant stack defeated me. The result of having eyes bigger than my belly. Totally worth it though.
Maybe brunch-out should become a regular thing.

Where do you go for brunch?

Love, Beth xxx

1 comment: