Friday 3 January 2014

Happy 2014!


Hello all, and a happy new year!
First things first, apologies for abandoning the blogging space for longer than acceptable, but hopefully I can make it up with a more personal essay of a post.  

Describing 2013 as an ‘interesting’ year would be an understatement to say the least. I’ve had so many highs, but with all highs it’s only natural to have the lows as well. Personally, 2013 was a year of lessons for me. It was a year where I realised that everyone comes into your life for a reason, whether showing you who you want, or don’t want, to be, or influencing you to look at life a little differently. Ultimately, this year has taught me a lot about myself, and I know everything I’ve learnt and experienced will help me to develop into the person I want to be, whoever that may be! Most importantly, this year has made me truly appreciate my friends and, more so, my family. Being someone who was so desperate to get far away from home before university, hence moving over 200 miles away, I’ve truly come to appreciate the importance of my family, and to never, ever take them for granted, as you never know when you’ll need them around you.  

But enough with all the negatives! Negativity was for 2013. I’ve made the executive decision that 2014 will be my year (cliché alert!). This year I’m going to get my life back on track, starting off with thinking more positively. It’s amazing how much negative thoughts can influence your mood, and, consequently, your everyday life. I spent far too much of 2013 being grumpy Beth, and she’s not a nice girl, I don’t like her at all. So 2014 is going to be a year where I take pleasure in the little things, whether it’s going for walks along the Falmouth beaches, or taking up a new hobby. I am in such a beautiful part of the country at university, but I lost sight of that in 2013; I am determined to get that appreciation back this year.

In 2013 I kept telling myself I would be productive, work harder, do something worthwhile every day. But of course that didn’t really happen; my typical student attitude kicked in and I’ve got myself into the awful routine of staying in bed until stupid O’clock, and bam, the day’s gone. But this year I am determined to actually be productive, rather than just say I will be. I am going to apply for jobs, apply for internships, and read all, or at least the majority, of my books, rather than just read the first page, get bored, get distracted by Made in Chelsea, and find myself on Sparknotes desperately trying to read book summaries at ridiculous times in the morning. Which brings me onto my next resolution: go to bed early, get up early. University and laziness has got me into a horrible sleeping pattern, but I am determined to fight against the student stereotype, and wake up (and actually get up) in the morning, because although sleeping is nice, it has taken up far too much of my life.   

And last but not least, I am going to smile more, because life’s too short to not be happy, and nobody likes a grump. 

So here’s to a very happy new year! Onwards and upwards :)

Much love, Beth xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment