Wednesday 11 May 2016

Beetroot Brownies

Is there anything more beautiful than a mountain of brownies?

No, I didn't think so.


But these are no normal brownies. Oh no. These brownies are good for you. OK, maybe not, but they contain half the fat of normal brownies and are made with a vegetable so it must be kinda healthy, right? I've seen beetroot brownies floating around before but never considered trying them (why would you change something as perfect as a triple chocolate brownie?). Recently though, I've been trying to eat healthier and cut down on the bad stuff, so naturally I've been craving chocolate. These beetroot brownies seemed like the answer to my sweet dilemma! Not-so-naughty, but still nice!
For these brownies, I followed this recipe from BBC GoodFood. I have never cooked with or even remember eating beetroot before, so had no idea how these brownies would turn out, but the recipe was incredibly easy to follow. As for the taste, they are still definitely chocolate-y, so much so that it's difficult to pick out the special ingredient. The beetroot notably adds a lot more moisture to the mix, making the brownies very gooey, so if you like them a bit firmer I'd recommend leaving them in the oven a couple of minutes longer, but for me the gooier the brownie the better! Next time though I think I may add little chunks of chocolate to the mix. I know I know, that defeats the healthy aspect of these brownies, but for extra chocolate I'm sure I can live with the guilt.
OK, so they might not beat my trusty triple chocolate brownies, but at least you can pretend you're being healthy.

What do you think? Indulgent chocolate brownies or guilt-free beetroot brownies? Comment below!

Love, Beth xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment